On 09/14/2010 07:59 PM, paul swed wrote:
Maybe early ones but I believe Bs were shipped with the gate osc and the
10811s were opt.

Which makes sense if you consider that for many lab/production uses you hook it up to a distributed 10 MHz and why pay for a 10811 you never use? The gate oscillator is sufficient for checking that the counter is functional, but it is muxed out when external ref is available.

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Greg Burnett<gb...@comcast.net>  wrote:

Charles, all HP 5370Bs were shipped with 5E-10/day OCXOs. So you should
hopefully find a 10811 in there, or possibly a 10544.

Greg

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles P. Steinmetz"<charles_steinm...@lavabit.com>
To: "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement"
<time-nuts@febo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 10:25 AM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Questions about HP 5370B

Thank you everyone for your comments.

Bruce wrote:

Open the lid and check that it actually has a 10811A rather than a
simple gate oscillator.

We have so far refrained from opening it to preserve the right of
return.  Did HP ship 5370Bs with lesser oscillators than the
10811?  I had assumed that if there is not a 10811 it's because
someone subsequently swapped it out.

Thanks,

Charles