On 12/19/2010 10:04 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:

Again, this all depends on where on this earth you are. We don't need
bomb-coordinates to help you...

It's on the signature line:  "Redondo Beach, California".   That is about
10 miles south of Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and about
a half mile due east of the Pacific Ocean

Sorry for the mental blocking. Signature lines is amusement only usually.

You are a bit far from the active LORAN-C transmitters... a continent and an ocean away...

I looked up on the West marine web site and they still cary an antenna
and it's in stock.  It's just a plain old 8 foot whip and sells for about $40.
with cable attached.

Fair deal.

I took the unit apart and peked at the PCB.  The antenna leads goes into
what looks like a RF amp made of discrete transistors, no DC to power
an active antenna.

I wonder if a 8 foot whip and that amp will handle the distance.

I need a whip-antenna myself for my DGPS...