At 05:04 PM 2/3/2011, Bob Camp wrote...
I would by no means argue with any of those points. The only thing I would add is that 40,000 transmitters is a *lot* of hardware to fill in gaps.

Which is precisely why that characterization is wrong. "ground stations are 'fill in' for heavy use areas" makes no sense - a satellite doesn't care about whether there are 1000 users in NYC or 1000 users spread across the whole NE seaboard. It is the satellite which fills the gaps between ground stations.

The preferred comm link will be through the local terrestrial station, because with 40,000 of them, you have possibly 80,000 times the available bandwidth of the satellite (satellite has to talk both ways over RF), in addition to having lower latency and operating cost.