On 02/02/11 19:47, Hal Murray wrote:

Bottom line - there's a lot to look into, and they are unlikely to help you
out.

There are a lot of FPGAs used in DSP applications where the clock to the
front end ADC is critical.  So I'd expect there would be some in-house
knowledge about this area.  It may be that all the help you will get is
"Don't do that."

You don't feed the ADC from the FPGA if you can avoid it.

I think Altera uses PLLs.

Xilinx uses DLLs, D for delay, a long chain of gates with an adjustable tap.
So the output signal will jump in time when the tap switches.

That is oversimplifying the answer, Xilinx now have both. They have had both for quite some time.

FPGAs are designed for digital logic rather than clock hacking.  I remember
some story from years ago about clocking troubles being traced back to input
threshold changes due to nearby outputs switching.  I forget the details.  I
think that particular problem was solved by moving all the output pins away
from the clock input pin.

Xilinx have been using DLLs for logic clocking, but for MGTs and GTPs they have used PLLs for ages as it is needed for low BER values. They have also included it for logic clocking.

You can also avoid going through DLLs if you have the right clocks. Does not always work. Most of the logic will work well. It's usually external timing requirements which causes problems.

The smaller FPGAs are not expensive.  It might make sense to dedicate a whole
chip to something like a clock mux.

You could always use an external PLL and put the digital dividers in a FPGA.

Trivial. Just avoid falling into the charge-pump tar-pit...