On 02/15/2011 04:18 AM, Charles P. Steinmetz wrote:
Bob wrote:

If all you are doing is running a Thunderbolt, you don't need a supply
that's more quiet than most batteries.

Most batteries are *very* quiet -- it takes heroic measures to get *any*
actively regulated supply into that ballpark. Indeed, one might be
tempted to run a Tbolt off of three batteries, each one charged by a
low-noise, high-impedance current source that puts out about .05 CV more
than the Tbolt draws. One could even turn the charging off for short
periods of "minimal noise" operation, if the batteries were suitably
sized. However, in either case I would be concerned that the drift of
one or more of the battery voltages (poor absolute regulation) might
introduce another source of XO drift -- but I have not tried it.

This has gone overboard. The T-bolt generates digital noise all by itself. It's the OCXO which would benefit most from a clean supply and isolation from the rest of the T-bolt except that temp-sensor.

Providing ultra-clean supplies to the digital logic would be overkill, as it would mess it up itself anyway.