On 4/20/11 9:39 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
In message<4daf0b0d.4080...@earthlink.net>, Jim Lux writes:

I found this in a generator interconnection agreement:

This frequency response control shall, when enabled at the direction of
CAISO, continuously monitor the system frequency and automatically
reduce the real power output of the Asynchronous Generating Facility
with a droop equal to a one-hundred (100) percent decrease in plant
output for a five (5) percent rise in frequency (five (5) percent droop)
above an intentional dead band of 0.036 Hz
Neither that text nor any other I have been able to find, guarantee
that the integral (= long term average) of the frequency will
converge on 60Hz, only that the instantaneous frequency will stay
in an particular range.

There's the "integrated time shall not deviate more than 2 seconds from actual" sort of requirement. I don't know what the integration interval on that is, but I think it implies that in any given day, there will be 60*86400 cycles plus minus 120 cycles. And that further, a sequence of +120, +120, +120 on successive days wouldn't be allowed.

I also noted that they seem to want the "corrections" to be done at the top of the hour (they speed up or slow down the 60 Hz until they're realigned).. I don't know, off hand, how much difference that would make in power flow (say they adjust by 0.01 Hz... over 1 second, that's a phase shift of 3.6 degrees, which is pretty big in the power management world)

tvb's data at http://leapsecond.com/pages/mains/  [...]
That data confirms what I said:  Maybe if you average over a couple
of months, but the practical problems related to doing that are
enormous.