Unfortunately, my D525 mobo doesn't have a serial port and my symetricom
doesn't like the usb converter. One of these days somebody is going to
make a usb coverter that really looks like a serial port. I'm probably
going to buy a serial card for the box if all else fails.

The best serial port boxes I have found, are Edgeports.  They are available in
1/2/4/8/16 port versions, and I've picked up the 8 port versions for $50 on
ebay.
Dead solid, and reliable.  I haven't hit anything that wouldn't work with them.