>Running the transformer that way won't burn it up at that instant, it just
>causes it to run hotter, because it's closer to saturation, and it shortens
>the life span a good bit.

I have yet to hear of any evidence for that being a problem with
US kit here in Denmark, probably because most kit is not run at
the extreme top end of its temperature specification.

I once was retained by a US manufacturer to determine why its high-end amps and preamps had a nearly 100% failure rate in Europe and Japan. It was their power transformers, which lacked sufficient core for 50 Hz operation -- they overheated and opened the internal thermal link. One customer had "repaired" his by digging out the thermal link and bypassing it with a short. His got hot enough to cook the paper and enamel and produce smoke.

Best regards,

Charles