On 7/10/2011 6:33 AM, Raj wrote:
To me when someone tells me a time of day the first thing I visualize is
the clock hands and not numbers. I suspect the present gen visualize
numbers. They must have trouble with 60 minutes in the hour.. a quarter
past six and such..

I'm 48 years old and prefer digital. Why? Analog clocks are such that a little "play" is found with the minute hand. That means that if you calibrate it to be accurate (within the limitation of the movement) on one side of the hour it will "lose" or "gain" a minute on the other side due to the play in that needle on the gauge. Digital completely eliminates the play found with the minute needle. Note that the play comes into, well, play, if the clock is mounted vertically on a wall and is a decent large size. An analog watch will not have the problem nor will a clock with 3 separate stepper engines for each of the 3 needed gauge needles. (or at least 2 steppers and gears for the hour needle with direct drive for the second and minute needles)

The typical wall clock will have one stepper engine and and gears for the minute and hour needles on the gauge with direct drive for the seconds needle. Therein lies a source of the play with the minutes needle. What's a measly minute off? Well, we all know! :) If you want a watch with some bling to it, try a Citizen Skyhawk series analog watch. These gems are radio controlled so it'll be less than half a second off at any time and are a little blingy (and a little expensive like $300).