On 7/22/11 11:59 AM, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R wrote:
On 07/22/2011 11:48 AM, Javier Herrero wrote:
El 22/07/2011 20:39, michael taylor escribió:

I think all NTP server appliances have this functionality by their
nature, whether or not the oscillator is of particular high quality
(low noise) or not. Many of the low-end ones likely just use a
standard oscillator "in a can" [2] that the embedded processor uses.
No, ntp algorithm does not adjust the oscillator itself.

Until LightSquared goes online we will have GPS available almost everywhere
high speed internet is available.

Except that GPS requires a view of the sky (or cabling to a place with a view of the sky).. There are a quite a lot of applications where you might have a network connection, but not view of the sky.

The question is whether NTP is decent for disciplining.
(PTP would almost certainly work)

NTP disicipline is possible but the necessary time constants might approach
the MTFB of associated systems.