Chris Albertson wrote:
Just got my fe5680 yesterday.   Seems to work but the fe5680 is the most
accurate reference I have.  So how to test it?   I plan to buy a
Thunderbolt but until then, anyone have any creative ideas?

<snip>

Going to have to get a Thunderbolt.  I have an Oncore UT+ the provides a
good pulse per second but that will not help

You can take the FE-5680 10MHz and divide it down to a derived 1 PPS. Use the time interval measurement on your HP5328A to measure the TI between the Oncore 1 PPS (start) and the derived 1 PPS (stop).

You might want to set a finite TI (for example, 100 usec) by adjusting the phase of the derived 1 PPS so the measurement doesn't get confused.

I have done this using an HP5316B with good results.

The jitter on the GPS 1 PPS might limit your short term resolution, but over a day or so you should be able to measure the drift of the FE-5680A.

I have used a Ref Tek 111A GPS clock for the 1 PPS. That unit has a lot (several usec) of jitter. I recently started using a 111C that has much lower jitter (a few 10's of nsec). I believe your OnCore unit will be similar.

Here are some results from my tracking my FE-5680A:

  http://c-c-i.com/image/tid/4

Most recent:

  http://c-c-i.com/node/159

Hope this helps.

Bob Smither, PhD                                  Circuit Concepts, Inc.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your
   government when it deserves it."
                      - Mark Twain

smit...@c-c-i.com           http://www.C-C-I.Com            281-331-2744