Rick wrote:

We also tried mounting the modified 10811 in Hammond metal box.
Initially, we mounted the 10811 to the box using the
two standoffs that come with the 10811.  However, this
degraded the performance somewhat.  We removed these and
had the 10811 supported mechanically only by the edge
connector.  With that change, it was as good as the cardboard
box.

I often mount OCXOs inside metal boxes with nylon or teflon standoffs (or resilient mounts, for some vibration isolation), with excellent results. If tighter temperature control is needed (IME, it often is not), mount that box inside another box on thermally insulating standoffs and control the air temperature in the larger box with a thermostatically-controlled fan. (The control should be set to no more than the maximum expected ambient temperature, or perhaps a bit lower, to preserve as much thermal differential for the oscillator oven as possible.)

Best regards,

Charles