The firmware filters out the low angle birds. [And it is a variable in
Lady Heather.] However, it is quite possible the antennas specifically
designed for timing have better immunity to low angle QRM. If I were to
mount the GPS antenna on a cell phone tower, I'd certainly want it to be
dead on the horizon. But for use away from cell phone towers, I'd not
sure the timing antenna is any better. Someone would have to do the
experiment to prove it.
I can loan one of these marine antennas if someone really is gung ho to
do the experiment.
On 4/2/2012 3:25 PM, Azelio Boriani wrote:
Yes, every antenna will do but the best is a dedicated timing antenna such
as the Motorola Timing2000 and others. The low angle satellites can be
masked out with the appropriate parameter. For the ultimate precision a
geodetic/surveillance antenna (i.e. the Trimble Zephyr) is... well...
really too expensive. One popped up just yesterday in the usual auction
site but now is already at 400$ and is intended to go up.
On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 12:14 AM, gary<[email protected]> wrote:
I found these at a local surplus shop. $15 each. It worked on the Starloc.
I got the 240 version which has high gain. The Starloc is a bit deaf. So to
pick an antenna for the Tbolt, it should meet gain requirements and
voltage. Marine grade is kind of overkill. Potentially the marine grade
gear is not as good as the dedicated timing GPS antennas since those (I
believe) are designed not to view the horizon as well as a "standard" GPS
antenna.
http://www.hankookantennausa.com/products/gps/gps_019.htm
_______________________________________________
time-nuts mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe, go to
https://www.febo.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/time-nuts
and follow the instructions there.
_______________________________________________
time-nuts mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe, go to https://www.febo.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/time-nuts
and follow the instructions there.
_______________________________________________
time-nuts mailing list -- [email protected]
To unsubscribe, go to https://www.febo.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/time-nuts
and follow the instructions there.