Well, the saga continues...
A replacement part (for which a thorough check was specifically asked) has arrived. It boasts a "Checked OK" written with a marker pen on the label. Promising... With high expectations, the necessary connections were made, power applied, and after warming up it locks at precisely 9.999,817,1 MHz... bummer. Sometimes, for (yet) unknown reasons, it unlocks again, and, if the frequency adjustment trend is upwards, it locks again at ~10.000.000 MHz. The lock signal is active even at higher temperatures - that's quite better than the first unit, but after a power cycle the story repeats... mostly the wrong frequency comes out, but, on the brighter side, it's locked.