The problem of optimal zero crossing detector design was essentially solved by Oliver Collins in the 1990's. Essentially a series of cascaded limiter stages with appropriate gain and bandwidth distribution are used.
With a 10MHz 1V rms signal only 2-3 stages suffices.
However unless you need fs jitter less complex zero crossing detectors should suffice.

1) a comparator (or line receiver) based design should achieve sub 10ps jitter.

2) AC coupling to the input of a CMOS (AC04, AHC04 LVC04) should achieve a jitter of 1ps or less

3) A simple differential pair with AC coupled emitters (reduces asymmetry due to component tolerances ) is capable of sub ps jitter.

There is a spreadsheet to assist design of Collins style zero crossing detectors at:

http://www.ko4bb.com/~bruce/ZeroCrossingDetectors.html <http://www.ko4bb.com/%7Ebruce/ZeroCrossingDetectors.html>

Bruce

paul swed wrote:
you can search time-nuts there has been a number of very good discussions
on this.
Sorry to say how you search is equally a good question.