On 07/21/2012 12:09 AM, Azelio Boriani wrote:
OK, very interesting. Now is it possible to measure/verify this? I think
that using any test equipment, the comparator-style approach is
unavoidable: the trigger of the scope or the counter cannot be an
amplifier/limiter.

If you like to verify what I described, a scope is a good starting-point. Using a sine of say 10 MHz and then adding a sine of say 1 kHz, you can fool around with trigger point, noise-signal level and source level and essentially learn it. Try trigger at zero-crossing, try trigger near the peaks. Vary the modulation signal amplitude.

How to tell what is up to my design under test and what
is the trigger contribution? Maybe only by comparison: test design A then
design B and see which is better...

Varying the amplitudes is one thing. It's a good stress test. I assume you have means to measure it. Doing what I proposed above is also a good stress-test, add a noise signal and see how much you must have for it to cause serious harm.

I got myself a TimePod for a reason. I also use a CSA-803A scope when I need to.