On 07/21/2012 01:28 AM, Azelio Boriani wrote:
Yes, using a 'scope and the persistence it seems possible to "visualize"
the results.

Exactly.

It's very instructive to see the traces separate appart as result of deterministic jitter, or just see the soft edges from the random jitter.

I forgot to mention, you typically view the rising transition one cycle off. For some scopes one need to feed the trigger separately and what I do is use a powersplitter hooked straight onto the trigger input, and then use a coax to compensate for the trigger delay + some offset. It's the difference in delay between trigger input and sampling input which needs to be sufficiently high.

This way I can view the trigger point completely, and I can also observe the 1 cycle jitter effect.