Ron Ward sayeth:
Hi:
I have been looking at the poor quality solder joints on the oscillator.
If you have a steady hand and a small tipped soldering with silver
baring (about 2% silver) solder, I would re-solder the connections. Many
of them do not look properly "wetted" and cold. Some of the heat from
removing the top may have re-soldered a problem connection.

I wondered whether that was possible but I don't think the inside got anywhere near reflow temperatures - the only heat damage was that bit of SRBP like stuff and the foam behind that looked much the same as everywhere else. It probably did get above 100deg C for a while.

I'll give it a thorough clean and have a close look at all the joints and SMT components when I have chance.