On 8/30/12 9:33 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
Hi

The fundamental / third approach is one of several possible ways to go. You
can also run an SC on the B and C modes to get thermometer data. Early
implementations used a pair of independent blanks, one cut to be a good
thermometer. Some have even gone as far as to mount a thermistor on the
crystal.

I've used the "sensor on oscillator can" technique very recently on a software defined radio. Over the next year, I'll get some data on how well it works in use. The idea is to use a low power TCXO and a sensor, rather than an OCXO, to meet a fairly tight frequency requirement (a few hundred Hz out of 2 GHz) The TCXO can get you do a few ppm or better. The sensor should let me get about an order of magnitude better, and I need to measure the temperature anyway, and it's easy to integrate with the software waveform code.