Robert, you have gotten some good advice already.

With regards to rubidium standards I've bought several of the cheaper rubidium
units and with the benefit of hindsight I would have put the money towards a
higher quality item such as a PRS 10.   There are some good write ups on line
that summarize the performance of the more commonly avaliable rubidium
standards.  If you haven't already done so you might want to start considering
what type of measurement gear you are going to use for your experiments.
Before purchasing a time interval counter I was able to do quite a bit of
experimenting using a dual trace oscilloscope to compare two signals.

Regards
Mark Spencer