On 12/17/12 11:21 PM, Hal Murray wrote:
    Cond. Material      Magnet Wire Helix
(What is "magnet wire", and what does "helix" mean and how does it effect
coax?)

Magnet wire is enamelled wire (usually copper).

I'm familiar with that usage, but I don't know why it's interesting in the
context of coax.

I think the key idea is that the insulation is thin so you can get lots of
turns/inch in a transformer.

I don't understand what a "helix" is in coax, or rather I don't appreciate
the numbers.  I'd guess that the "center conductor" is constructed as a helix
and that increases the inductance/meter by a whole lot, or something like
that.  But isn't there a sqrt in there?

That is exactly what is done.. a *very tiny* wire is wound in a helix around a core (sometimes ferrous) that forms the center conductor of the coaxial cable, so it has huge L per length.

And yes, 1/sqrt(LC) is the propagation velocity