Hi

I think the truth of the matter is that these gizmos have been cheap enough
(and complicated enough) that they don't get repaired a lot. Certainly the VCXO
gets tweaked, and there are a couple of caps that explode / get replaced. Past
that either they don't break, or they get replaced.

Bob

On Feb 18, 2013, at 1:52 AM, Magnus Danielson <mag...@rubidium.dyndns.org>
wrote:

> On 02/18/2013 04:34 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> There *must* be an alignment procedure that sets these things up. They
>> didn't put all those test points in there just for the fun of it. I'm sure
>> that these units would work a bit better if we knew how to tweak them back
>> to the original alignment specs.
>
> There is a document which gives some of it, but doing a reverse-engineering
> project is primarily so it can be properly understood for trimming and repair
> purposes in my mind.
>
> There is a 2x4 connectors which can connect in a test-rig while the 2x5
> connector is hooked up. There is two different connectors inside that also
> should be relevant, and then is at least one jumper field which would be good
> to know how it "works".
>
> Considering how common these are, I was surprised that more effort had not
> gone into them, compared to how the group (and hams) tend to deal with all
> this.
>
> Cheers,
> Magnus
>
>> Bob
>>
>> On Feb 16, 2013, at 6:10 PM, Magnus Danielson<mag...@rubidium.dyndns.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Fellow time-nuts,
>>>
>>> Considering that LPROs is pretty popular, I am a bit surprised that I have
>>> not seen any major reverse-engineering effort on the LPROs. I have the
>>> self-compiled LPRO service document, which collects parts of schematics
>>> from patents, but still.
>>>
>>> My main reasons for asking is that I want to get a little better overview
>>> of how they work, how I can tune them up and what signals is available
>>> where. Naturally, always figuring if there is some interesting tweaks to be
>>> done.
>>>
>>> LRPO is just a traditional analogue rubidium, in compact format, sure, but
>>> never the less.
>>>
>>> I have noticed that different FPGAs have been used over time. Curious about
>>> the various jumpers and connectors in it.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Magnus