Hi

One of the early relativity confirmation experiments was done with very similar
clocks before that film clip was made. There were a number of corrections made
as part of the trip. One of them was to re-confirm the traveling Cs once it got
back to it’s starting point. You only could “use” the trip if the Cs came back
home still on time.

There were a *lot* of satellite time transfer experiments in the 60’s and 70’s.
They worked well enough to reduce the frequency of clock trips, but not well
enough to eliminate them. The GPS common view stuff was the first approach that
(with proper calibration) got them to a better level of time transfer than a
clock trip.

Bob