On 5/4/14, 11:38 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:
These guys claim "IEEE-754 FPU".     But this is not the board to use for a
Posix-like OS.   For that you'd want disk controller, networking and so on.

Ah, so they did include the FPU:  that's handy.
Actually, an in-ram file system, along with a decent threading model, queues, and so forth, even with no disk and networking, is still useful. The fact that you can test your code by compiling and running it in a linux environment is quite helpful.

The big advantage of this thing is that it has an Arduino compatible boot
loader and pinout so it drops into that environment which is VERY easy for
many people to use.  It has a very short learning curve.   You can't say
that about other embedded Sparc.

Very much so.

SPARC, ARM or AVR should not matter to people who are using the Arduino
IDE,  All they see is the same C++ like environment and a small set of
library functions.

And that's pretty cool.

But, since we have a bunch of GPS based precision navigation/orbit determination code we're developing that runs on a SPARC V8, (so we've dealt with all the potential numerical idiosyncracies), we might be able to do an inexpensive port of Real Time Gipsy to this platform.