Thank you, Tom - I appreciate the advice.

I am using a 74HC390 in the (divide-by-20, square wave output) divider chain,
and sure enough, after looking more closely at the data sheet, it clocks on the
FALLING edge (I thought otherwise - wrong)! I will stick an inverter in the
path and that will probably fix it.

Will update again once that's taken care of.

Dave