The referenced article indicates that they apply the smear to their NTP servers and allow the clients to track the servers. This approach would place some limits on the minimum
lead time you would need to implement the smear.

1) you would have to start early enough for the servers to detect the change. Unless Google has an internal policy to limit maxpoll you would expect the clients to be operating at the default value of 1024 seconds. They would have to start well before 1024 seconds
to allow the clients to detect the change and start tracking.

2) NTP has a maximum slew rate of 500ppm ( http://doc.ntp.org/4.1.0/ntpd.htm) . In practice you wouldn't be able to use this full range because the clients would already
have some error in their clocks.

The scary part of the referenced article is in the third to last paragraph:

"and Google engineers developing code don’t have to worry about leap seconds."

That seems like the kind of attitude that would have caused such a mess with computer
timekeeping in the first place.