Hi

Back a very long time ago HP came up with a “universal” interface standard to
talk to instruments. It turned into HPIB. After a bit of time, the standard
evolved a little and other manufacturers picked up on it. It then became
standardized as GPIB.

Since the mid 1980’s, it’s been a pretty good bet that a gizmo labeled GPIB
will work with another gizmo labeled GPIB. Problem details generally revolve
around stacking a large combination of devices and cables together.

PC cards to drive GPIB are one way to drive a modern setup. Serial interface
boxes something that you see on rare occasions. USB interface devices are the
most typical way to do it in a basement setup.

Far more important (like 100X) than the card (or box) talking to the counter is
weather your computer, it’s operating system, and the software you intend to
use will work with the interface. The GPIB side is a slam dunk compared to the
software side. Without more information on the computer and software you intend
to use, it’s tough to really give more than a general recommendation. National
Instruments gear tends to be well supported across a number of platforms. There
are many others who do a good job as well.

Bob