John wrote:

All other things being equal, it's desirable to minimize the time spent in that region of the waveform. It doesn't necessarily hurt to choose a faster logic family, as long as the process noise and device gain are otherwise compatible with the decision. Random jitter on the 7.5 GHz ADCLK905 is specified at around 60 femtoseconds, after all. A residual PN test at 10 MHz on an ADCLK905 ends up at around -135 dBc/Hz at 1 Hz just like many other slower comparators, a figure that's good for 1s ADEVs in the E-14s

To square up a 10 MHz signal from an OCXO it's hard to beat a simple diff amp with a pair of bipolars, a la Wenzel.

I have found the same when squaring 5-10 MHz sine waves. I have used the optimized Wenzel circuit shown below many times, always with excellent results. More recently, I have tested the LT1719 squarer also shown below. Both exhibit residual PN of less than -130 dBc/Hz at 1 Hz.

Best regards,

Charles