On 6/19/15 9:30 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
Hi

One of the most interesting things about the last paper mentioned:
On Jun 19, 2015, at 8:57 PM, Charles Steinmetz <csteinm...@yandex.com> wrote:

Rick wrote:

However, a better tutorial would be the one written by
HP's Dieter Scherer which was published in Microwaves
& RF Magazine (or possibly Microwave Journal).  I believe
the same content was available from HP as an Ap Note or
something.

I suspect the paper you are referring to is:

Design Principles and Test Methods for Low Phase Noise RF and Microwave Sources
(Scherer, 1978)

It is available on Didier's site at:

<http://www.ko4bb.com/manuals/download.php?file=03_App_Notes_-_Proceedings/Scherer_Low_noise_source_design_and_test.pdf>

There are two other Scherer papers there:

Generation of Low Phase Noise Microwave Signals (Scherer, 1981)
<http://www.ko4bb.com/manuals/download.php?file=03_App_Notes_-_Proceedings/Scherer_Low_PN_Signal_Generation.pdf>

The "Art" of Phase Noise Measurement (Scherer, 1985)
<http://www.ko4bb.com/manuals/download.php?file=03_App_Notes_-_Proceedings/Scherer_Art_of_PN_measurement.pdf>

^^^^^^^^^ this one

Best regards,

Charles

is that it has a phase noise plot on an open loop microwave source down to 10
Hz. Not quite the VCO Jim
was looking for, but close ….

page 25 shows down to 100 Hz, "Typical Free-Running Source at 10 GHz". Eyeballing it it looks like 20dB/decade from 10-100k, a bit more from 1-10k, and almost 30 dB/decade from 100Hz to 1k. I wonder what the source was?

The SAW is definitely in the 30dB/decade bucket

This makes a good case for the "30dB/decade very close in"