Tom,

There were two reasons I bought from Amazon, instead of ebay. First, I
got it within 2-days w/Prime shipping, instead of two or more weeks
from China. Second, it is easier to return things to Amazon. In fact,
the first serial-Ethernet device I ordered had to be returned. It came
with a bad power supply and even with a good supply, did not work. I
felt that it was worth spending a bit more for these conveniences.

As for a multi-port device, yes, that makes sense. I'll see if I can
find something similar on Amazon.

What USB-Ethernet devices have you had good luck with? I am
considering a somewhat expensive Silex device. I did buy a used
Belkin-branded box that was made by Silex, but it kept
disconnecting/reconnecting the USB devices. This seemed to be a common
problem with this particular Belkin box.

Joe Gray
W5JG