Joe,

I've had good luck with Systech Terminal Servers on eBay. I've bought five of them for use at home and work and none of them have had any problems. Two port ones are around $20 and four port ones are around $50. Some of them support RS-485. Make sure they come with the power supply. The supply is readily available, but why spend another $20? When configuring, you have to set them up as "Reverse Telnet". The only issue we've had is if the controlling program crashes, the Systech doesn't close the serial port. This blocks any new connections.

At work, before we started buying the Systech boxes we bought VLinx ESP211's from B&B Electronics. Pricey, but they work well. They also support RS-485.

Brent