A metal shield provides to aspects, firstly it will act as a windshield and keep some air confined and secondly, it will help equalize the temperature surrounding the oven such that it itself reduces temperature gradients, simply by being a better conductor of heat than the air. You still have black-body convection for sure.

For lesser oscillators, just putting a small plastic hut over the crystal have improved things greatly.