Let's know if they get to the bottom of this, Magnus- its interesting to speculate on the cause but hopefully they figure out the real issue.
DaveB, NZ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Magnus Danielson" <mag...@rubidium.dyndns.org> To: "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement" <time-nuts@febo.com>
Cc: <mag...@rubidium.se>
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 11:06 AM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Optical link connects atomic clocks over 1400 km of fibre

Don't over-interpret the 50 Hz aspect, I don't remember those details from 4.5 months back or so, as I already indicated. I can ask on the details tomorrow. I think they discussed the Kerr effect:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerr_effect
The PTB folks asked me the same question essentially.

Would be nice to verify it.