On 10/27/2016 11:06 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

This is why a lot of people in costal climates who ventilate their
basement during summer "to dry out the basement" get the exact
opposite result:  The air outside is a lot wetter than on the inside.

I learned this myself last summer. We have a cottage on northern Lake Michigan that is about 100 feet from the water. There is a walk-out basement that gets somewhat damp, though a dehumidifier usually keeps it under control. Last summer I opened the cottage later in the season than usual, and the basement was very clammy. So I decided to open the slider doors and turn on a box fan to air things out...

When I came back downstairs a couple of hours later, *standing water* had condensed on the cold floor tiles! I had basically been dehumidifying Lake Michigan. Lesson learned (and I spent the rest of the vacation trying to dry things out again).

Thanks for all the other comments in this thread. I'm absorbing and will try to summarize back to the group.

John