Rhys wrote:

I was looking at the output of my Trimble Thunderbolt GPSDO and was rather
surprised to see really "loud" harmonics in there. ~ 60dB down from the
10Mhz signal.

Welcome to the world of RF. Loudest harmonic at ~ -60dBc (dB with respect to carrier) is actually pretty good for a commercial product. Very few distribution amplifiers do this well. For that matter, many good laboratory RF generators are specified with harmonics only below -35 to -45 dBc. We do not generally expect RF sources or amplifiers to get down to the -80 to -90 dBc range (although amplifiers with harmonics < -80dBc at 10MHz/1Vrms/50 ohms are possible), and certainly not the -100 to -120dBc that we expect from high fidelity audio sources and amplifiers.

Even harmonics (which make the carrier asymmetrical) can cause phase errors that are harmful in high-precision systems [1], so I am a vocal supporter of distribution amplifiers with harmonics < -80dBc.

Note that cleaning up the Tbolt output to < -80dBc would probably require a crystal filter (a filter with a sharp corner very close to 10MHz, in any case), which means its phase response changes very rapidly with the filter frequency. Sharp filters shift frequency with temperature, which causes temperature-dependent phase shifts. Unless the filter is maintained in an isothermal environment (like a good oven), this can cause problems in sensitive applications.

Best regards,

Charles

[1] F.L. Walls (NIST), F.G. Ascarrunz (SpectraDynamics), The Effect of Harmonic Distortion on Phase Errors in Frequency Distribution and Synthesis (year unknown, probably late '90s).