From: time-nuts [mailto:time-nuts-boun...@febo.com] On Behalf Of Donald E. Pauly
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2017 9:49 PM
To: time-nuts; Donald E. Pauly
Subject: [time-nuts] Fwd: HP10811 Oscillator Thermal Fuse

 <https://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2017-May/date.html>
https://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2017-May/date.html

I disagree about permanently jumpering the thermal fuse.  The oscillator is
rated down to -55° C and the oven can maintain 82° C at that temperature.  This
is a 137° C rise.  It is likely capable of more heat than that.  At 25° C, it
would therefore be able to reach at least 25+137=162° C.  This is near solder
melting temperature and would quickly cook the components.  It is rated to work
at 71° which would give a temperature of 208° C and do serious damage.  That
thermal fuse is very important.  There are a dozen failures which could result
in a thermal runaway.

This web page discusses the fact that a thermal fuse should be 30° C above
normal operating temperature to prevent nuisance blows.

<http://www.simonsdialogs.com/2016/09/a-thermal-fuse-and-hp-10811-60111-repair/>
 http://www.simonsdialogs.com/2016/09/a-thermal-fuse-and-hp-10811-60111-repair/

HP originally used a 26° C margin and later changed it to a 33° margin.  This
explains the frequent failures.  This poster used the wrong type of fuse but
the correct type is commercially available.

πθ°μΩω±√·Γλ

WB0KVV