On 6/7/2017 1:09 PM, Attila Kinali wrote:

makes the PI loop better behaved. Also the thermal mass of the
crystal holder is quite small. Especially compared ot the 10811.

Actually, the oven mass of the E1938A is much heavier than the
10811 and is made of copper to boot.

Due to the flat puck design, I assume that the majority of the
heat going to the crystal holder is due to radiation (unless I
missed some insulation around the crystal). Radiation, albeit being
a high "resistivity" transport mechanism, has very low inherent
"capacitance". And thus the delay associated with this transport
mechanism is low.

The crystal case is well connected to the oven mass and gets
heated by conduction.  I don't think radiation is a player.

There are probably a lot more small design decisions in the E1938
that make it such a superb oven. More than I probably will ever
be able to figure out. And, I still am astonished how well it works.

                        Attila Kinalid

Rick N6RK