Bob wrote:

In this case hydrogen + oxygen (like from oxidized metal) goes to H20. You very
much do
not want water running around inside your crystal holder… Helium is inert.

The insides of mains alternators are almost entirely metal -- tons and tons of copper tubing, and the casings and rotor shaft are steel. And the alternators must operate at a relative humidity of absolute zero. The problem is far from insurmountable, even at that huge scale. Dealing with it should be very much easier at a scale of cubic centimeters.

They use condensers to remove the water during the hydrogen purge cycle, which (for mains alternators) lasts several weeks. I watched the procedure several times 25 years ago, but I don't recall the particulars now.

Best regards,

Charles