The K04BB device is a great little relatively inexpensive and compact
Thunderbolt monitor.

Another option is to use a Raspberry PI and the 7" color LCD touchscreen along
with the latest Lady Heather code.   I've added touchscreen support and some
optimizations to the screen code for better display on smaller screens.  The
combo makes for a very nice package that shows pretty much everything and lets
you control the unit from the touchscreen.   The PI + touchscreen does cost
around $100 though.  I've seen some really nice builds, such as Willis
Hendly's,  with the Tbolt, power supply, and PI/touchscreen (I think he
actually uses a Beaglebone) mounted in a box.  Perhaps he will do a post
showing his implementation.