Hi

If the device is attaching to a micro controller (as in the original request),
feeding it a few
bits to get it set up may not add any parts at all. No, that’s not a certainty,
but it usually
is a pretty good guess. Most micro’s these days will start up on an internal
clock source so
even the “what to use at time zero” issue is taken care of.

Bob