Hi,

On 2019-02-25 07:48, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
--------
In message
<CADHrwpcdmyeguXoM69D2byW=DfKwMfi7_t-P=qYst7T7OO=e...@mail.gmail.com>, Dana
Whitlow writes:

This would seem to imply that purposely overrating a 'lyt is pretty pointless.

Any comments on this notion?
I've always wondered that myself, and found very little documentation or
wisdom available.

As I understand it, even very brief voltage spikes must be kept under the
rated voltage, so overrating would buy some transient durability, but
other than that...

The trouble with aluminium electrolytics is that if not voltaged is applied, the oxide layer slowly breaks down. This is why the capacitors is stored charged and needs to have slowly increased voltage for the oxide layer to rebuild. If too high voltage is applied it breaks through. Now, over-rating could potentially not work very well if not operated at high enough voltage.

I don't recall for sure the reference for this, but I think some of it was out of AT&T Reliability manual. I'm too far away on travels from my library to check on details.

It's also a concern with boat-anchor equipment. Direct full-voltage power-up can make the caps blow in the PSU.

Cheers,
Magnus