Gerhard, you didn't mention a budget number for this. You should be able to find a commercial synthesizer ready to go if you have enough money. If it's a one-off, DIY thing, then it's a different story. If this is the case, I'd recommend looking at the methods used in microwave counters. They often use synthesized VHF sources and SRD multipliers and YTFs to make and select sampling frequencies for down-converting microwave inputs.

All I can say is that there are lots of ways, and the usual things apply.

Start as high as possible. An XO may be good up to 200 MHz or so. A SAW resonator may be good to a GHz - noisier, but less multiplication needed. You may be able to PLL a DRO well enough directly at 10 GHz, and not need multiplication, with a high enough low-noise reference frequency for comparison.

Going with a multiplier chain is reliable and straightforward, but can get complicated due to the number of stages and filters that may be needed. My favorite multiplier is the classic SRD. If you start with a high enough drive frequency, selecting the desired harmonic is fairly easy with a fixed or yig-tuned BPF. I always figure that if SRDs are good enough to multiply by hundreds of times in Cs and Rb standards, they're good enough for my simple needs.

An alternative to the SRD is to use extremely fast logic or line or laser driver type parts running at VHF, that have edge speeds with enough juice at 10 GHz, then BP filtered and amplified.

Ed