> A quick search shows similar experiences with other print on demand books
> from Amazon.

Off topic:

        A closely related division within the company I worked for made
ultrahigh speed printers
        Paper reels were maybe 2 m in diameter
        Connections between the computers and printer were fiber (copper was
too slow).
        Printer, computer, and paper fill a _very_ large room (250 sq m?).
        I don’t know if they cost more than USD 1M.

        On a factory tour, I learned that virtually all amazon books (at least
in US), other than,
        say, the latest #1 best seller in hard cover, are printed on demand.

        As is virtually all customized mail (e.g. financial statements, etc.)

        (Obviously) a poor scan will result in a poor print on demand book.

        But the print on demand process itself is amazing — ‘you wouldn’t even
know’.

Best,
Scott W7SLS