On 5/2/22 2:58 am, paul swed wrote:
Julien
I don't think I would read a lot into the failed R just replace it. They
are in a nasty hot environment and simply can age and die. Get at leat 2
resistors just incase there really is a shorted transistor or something
else going on.
Regards
Paul

Oh absolutely, my rough guess is the thermal insulation foam degraded corroding the leads /eventually/. This unit is over 30 years old, and who knows how it was used, although being in a road case makes me suspect it was not the sort of life we might like.

I swapped in two 10-ohm 1-watt carbon film resistors today (being what I could get my hands on).

Sadly I couldn't just solder to the lead stubs still poking through the board, they were just too corroded. A significant disassembly and reassembly later the unit appears to be improved, but still not locking.

Should anyone run into this later, a clear bench, lots of lighting, and a way to ensure any screw you drop doesn't disappear never to be seen again are strongly recommended. Sadly my own bench is rather more of the Jim Williams[1] variety. A good soldering setup is also needed, but there I was rather luckier, even if my new desoldering iron did end up lifting a few pads.

I /think/ it's using more power than it did before (right around 20W at total cold, dipping to 10W after a while), although silly me didn't make a note of it, but even after 30 minutes it's not locking.

Given that the resistor I replaced is in a key point for the lamp excitation oscillator I won't be surprised if it's totally off and needs a recalibration, but that's a task for another day. When I stick a scope probe in the lamp cavity as the manual suggests I do see a a signal, so there's certainly hope, although I don't see the expected glow.

I did confirm the heater is working, and was getting above 90c when I poked a thermocouple at it just after power-off.

1: https://www.edn.com/honoring-jim-williams/

On Fri, Feb 4, 2022 at 3:50 AM Julien Goodwin <time-n...@studio442.com.au>