Sudha Krishna wrote:
Hi,

I am getting the following error when I execute the  "motelist" command:

error, could not open key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\FTDIBUS

I suppose that you are working with telosb/tmotes. On the tmotes there is an FTDI's FT232BM USB to Serial converter. It enables to program the tmote using a PC USB port as an additional - virtual - COM port (VCP).

The drivers for the FT232BM are included in Linux kernel 2.4.20 or greater. Check for a file named ftdi_sio.o (probably under /lib/modules/2.6.<version>/kernel/drivers/usb/serial). Plug in a tmote and check to see if the right driver was loaded:

$ lsmod | grep ftdi

You should see something like:

 usbserial              33224  1 ftdi_sio
 usbhid                 42752  0
usbcore 139076 6 ftdi_sio,usbserial,usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd

If the ftdi_sio driver is not loaded when inserting a tmote, you need to update your kernel. *Or* you can download the drivers from the FTDI web site http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm. Then, to install the ftdi_sio driver use the following steps:
1. Create a temporary folder in your linux machine.
   $ cd $HOME
   $ mkdir tmpftdi
   $ cd tmpftdi
   $ wget http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/Linux/ftdi_sio.tar.gz
2. Extract the files from ftdi_sio.tar.gz file to your temporary folder
   $ gunzip ftdi_sio.tar.gz
   $ tar -xvf ftdi_sio.tar
3. Build the driver
   $ make
4. Plug in your ftdi device
5. Check to see if default driver was loaded
   $ lsmod
   you will see ftdi_sio if a driver is loaded
6. Remove the default installed driver
   $ sudo rmmod ftdi_sio
7. Install the newly built driver
   $ sudo insmod ftdi_sio.o

Note that I have not tested this steps because on my system (Ubuntu 6.06) the VCP worked out of the box.

Hope this helps,
Fabrizio