Just now I note that you are working under Windows.
Then my previous reply is not useful for you.

You should install the VCP drivers form the FTDI web site.

Fabrizio

Fabrizio Stefani wrote:
Sudha Krishna wrote:
Hi,

I am getting the following error when I execute the  "motelist" command:

error, could not open key HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\FTDIBUS

I suppose that you are working with telosb/tmotes. On the tmotes there is an FTDI's FT232BM USB to Serial converter. It enables to program the tmote using a PC USB port as an additional - virtual - COM port (VCP).

The drivers for the FT232BM are included in Linux kernel 2.4.20 or greater. Check for a file named ftdi_sio.o (probably under /lib/modules/2.6.<version>/kernel/drivers/usb/serial). Plug in a tmote and check to see if the right driver was loaded:

$ lsmod | grep ftdi

You should see something like:

 usbserial              33224  1 ftdi_sio
 usbhid                 42752  0
usbcore 139076 6 ftdi_sio,usbserial,usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd

If the ftdi_sio driver is not loaded when inserting a tmote, you need to update your kernel. *Or* you can download the drivers from the FTDI web site http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm. Then, to install the ftdi_sio driver use the following steps:
1. Create a temporary folder in your linux machine.
   $ cd $HOME
   $ mkdir tmpftdi
   $ cd tmpftdi
   $ wget http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/Linux/ftdi_sio.tar.gz
2. Extract the files from ftdi_sio.tar.gz file to your temporary folder
   $ gunzip ftdi_sio.tar.gz
   $ tar -xvf ftdi_sio.tar
3. Build the driver
   $ make
4. Plug in your ftdi device
5. Check to see if default driver was loaded
   $ lsmod
   you will see ftdi_sio if a driver is loaded
6. Remove the default installed driver
   $ sudo rmmod ftdi_sio
7. Install the newly built driver
   $ sudo insmod ftdi_sio.o

Note that I have not tested this steps because on my system (Ubuntu 6.06) the VCP worked out of the box.

Hope this helps,
Fabrizio
This email has been ClamScanned by ArsLogica antivirus server !
         www.clamav.net

Dr. Fabrizio Stefani
Researcher

ArsLogica S.r.l.