hardware (e.g. CPU) requirements largely depends on the actual code / application running on it, notably the RAM and ROM requirements of the application. ATmega32 should be fine for most small applications.

For example, the ultrasound ranging board (http://www.tinyos.net/ scoop/special/hardware) uses ATmega8 and runs (some) TinyOS app just fine.

Hope that helps,

-Fred