Try getting some metal (NOT vynal) screen at a home improvement store and put
the sensor in that. Connect the screen to a ground (a water pipe is good).

That will give you a Faraday cage. Alter it with windows in the sides or
grounding/ungrounding to get the desired signal strength.

It's still not very scientific, but it should work.

I am still interested in any real research in this area.

-Ben

--
For some reason, the United States is the only country on Earth where
accidents don't happen – it's always somebody's fault, and you can sue that