On Thursday 31 May 2007 19:26, Tan Han Chiang wrote:
> did anyone here managed to use the micaz standalone AES encryption
> sucessfully?? Also does anyone knows the crypto used for the AES
> standalone encryption? Is it CBC, counter mode or.... ??

The micaz uses the CC2420 radio, which has AES-128 functionality built into
hardware.  It can support Counter, CBC-MAC or CCM modes somewhat seamlessly
as part of the packet send and receive workflows.  You can also use it to do
standalone encryption operations on non-packet data.  CCM is the most
interesting mode, in that it is a combination of Counter and CBC-Mac.  The
CC2420 data sheeet has all the details.

We're going to be looking into using the CC2420 and AES for an upcoming
project.  At first blush, it looks like the packet-layer stuff will be pretty
straightforward and key mangement will be the challenge if you need to do
dynamic keying.  TinySec is a security layer developed for TinyOS 1.x that
might have some other useful information for you.

Steve