Sent: Friday, September 21, 2007 10:18 PM
Subject: [Tinyos-help] Question about printf

I wanted to get a sense of how many people out there use the printf
library provided in TinyOS 2.0.  As its written right now, its not the
easiest thing to use since an application has to explicitly flush the
printf buffer itself and any printf commands called while flushing
will all fail.

My question is whether people would prefer to have a bit more user
friendly version of printf.  I have an alternate implementation where
all that needs to be done to use printf is to include tos/lib/printf
in your include path in your makefile.  No wiring, no nothing.  Just
call printf() anywhere in your code and see the output spit out over
the serial line.  Flushing is done automatically, and bytes can also
be written to the printf buffer while this flush is occurring.  Since
flushing is only triggered when the print buffer has a certain number
of bytes in it, explicit flushes are of course possible, by wiring in
a PrintfFlush interface from the PrintfC component.

The reason I'm bringing all of this up is that this version of the
printf library is incompatible with the version in previous releases.
Would people prefer to have this newer version overwrite the current
one (possibly breaking existing code), or be provided as an alternate
printf service in some way?  Comments are welcome.

--
~Kevin